Movie Review: VIVO (Netflix) - A Warm Melody, Great For Papi Time

VIVO : My Take

I found it warm, colorful, and bright. A true melody.  The music brings you back with hints of previous Lin-Manuel Miranda works you've come to like if you are a fan, but also some new sounds that were unexpected.  The Characters were very likable, and relatable, especially Gabi (maybe because she has the name of one, but acts like the other of my two daughters).

The voicing is great.  To see a character that reminds you of the great Celia Cruz, who then belts out the wonderful velvet voice of Gloria Estefan was trippy.  Zoe Saldana did the needful as the story's sensible grownup with just enough Latina mom-ness to bring us back to childhood, and the rest of the cast seemed like they were having a musical blast.  "My Own Drum" has become the immediate new anthem in our house.

My take on your Papi Time: #WorthIT, 3.75 out of 5 Stars.   Quarter point for not giving me some daddy/daughter flashbacks, and making me have to have a conversation with my 10 yr old that you can't actually drive a boat through the everglades by yourself, even for a good reason.  What is it with Animation and kids feeling the need to put themselves in grave danger 😆 ? I say that jokingly.  But overall, totally worth sitting down with your little (or not so little) ones for Family Movie Night. I would have totally seen this in theater and been glad I did. Bravo, again, LMM.  Keep telling our stories.  They inspire. 



Comments

Popular Posts